Cornell Lab of Ornithology
159 Sapsucker Woods Rd
Ithaca, NY 14850
Reservations requested for groups of 10 or more. Click here
The Sapsucker Woods Sanctuary is open every day, dawn to dusk.
Visitor Center Hours
Monday–Thursday: 8:00 A.M.–5:00 P.M.
Friday: 8:00 A.M.–4:00 P.M.
Saturday: 9:30 A.M.–4:00 P.M.
Sunday: 11:00 A.M.–4:00 P.M. April-December
Sunday: Closed January-March
Hours may change due to special events. We are closed on some holidays.
Note: The visitor center will close at noon on Saturday, March 7, due to a special event.
Closed Easter Sunday and Thanksgiving Day.
Closed from 4:00 P.M. on Christmas Eve through January 4.
Open 10:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M. on Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, and the day after Thanksgiving.
Adelson Library Hours
Monday-Friday: 10:00 A.M. - 12:00 P.M. and 1:00 P.M. - 4:00 P.M.
Where to Stay
The following hotels offer special reduced rates for Lab visitors. This rate is based on availability and subject to change. Free shuttle service is available to and from the Cornell Lab, please contact the hotel for more information on their shuttle service.
Courtyard by Marriott: 607-330-1000
Fairfield Inn and Suites Marriott: 607-277-1000
Best Western University Inn: 607-272-6100
Admission is free. We appreciate donations and member support to help with trail maintenance and local outreach programs.
Discover the Johnson Visitor Center at the Cornell Lab
At Sapsucker Woods just outside Ithaca, New York, you'll find the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, headquartered at the Imogene Powers Johnson Center for Birds and Biodiversity. We invite you to visit and discover all that our Visitor Center has to offer:
- A bright, roomy observatory with large windows looking out on our bird feeding garden and Sapsucker Woods Pond
- Interactive exhibits where you can explore the world of birds through sounds and video
- Bird identification guides and binoculars for loan at the front desk
- World-class bird art, including innovative travelling exhibits
- The Adelson Library, with more than 14,000 books and serials on birds and natural history, open to the public
- Special seminars in spring and fall
- A Wild Birds Unlimited store packed with supplies, books, optics, and clothing
Our many interactive exhibits bring you closer to the world of birds. From touch-screen kiosks to surround-sound theater and HD movies, there’s plenty to do during a visit. Activities (pictured above) include:
1. Natural Sounds interactive kiosk
2. Find & enter sightings in eBird Trail Tracker
3. Surround-sound films in Bartels Theater
4. Touchscreen Bird ID kiosk
5. Explore animal sounds in Raven Sound Studio
We feature permanent and rotating art exhibits in the Williams Gallery of Art and
the auditorium. Behind the scenes, the Cornell Lab of Ornithology’s art collection
includes more than 1,000 works of art spanning 150 years. John James Audubon, Louis
Agassiz Fuertes, and others strove to depict birds accurately through scientific
observation and illustration, while also conveying the beauty and wonder of birds.
Our online catalog shows complete thumbnail images of the art collection.