Teacher in Residence
The Cornell Lab K-12 team is looking for one or more dedicated teachers to work alongside the K-12 team at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology this summer. The selected teacher will become a “Teacher in Residence” (TIR) who will gain experience in collaboratively creating curricula, advise us on approaches to best engage new teachers in our programs, and attend the Summer Educator Retreats. We anticipate the main focus will be revising and adapting our Investigating Evidence inquiry curriculum.
The experience requires a 6-week residency with a target date of July 6 through August 14, 2020. We recognize that your school may be in session in early August. When applying, please let us know your preferred start and end date.
Teachers will receive these benefits:
- A $5000 stipend
- Free registration for the Summer Educator’s Retreat
- Free enrollment in “Inspiring Investigations through Citizen Science” online course (which will be completed prior to the Residency)
- A fun and collaborative work environment with great team of educators at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology
- The opportunity to contribute to internationally-distributed STEM curricula
- An invigorating and rewarding summer in beautiful Ithaca, NY
Our ideal applicants:
- Are K-12 teachers with at least 3 years classroom experience
- Have a strong interest in birds, citizen science, and inquiry-based education
- Are experienced creating or adapting standards-based curricula.
- Are team players who can also work independently.
- Can think “out of the box” and envision application of materials and curricula outside their immediate classroom context
Note: Housing is not included for Teachers in Residence—but past TIRs have been able to secure free, inexpensive, or shared housing for the duration of their stay. (Ithaca is a college town so there tend to be sublets, house-sitting opportunities, and house-shares during the summer. We will share resources to help you find housing opportunities if needed.)
To apply, please send a cover letter addressing your interest and qualifications, a resume or outline of past employment, and a list of three references to Jennifer Fee by March 6, 2020. Please use “Teacher In Residence,” as the subject line.