Crow Not Crow by Jane Yolen and Adam Stemple, illustrated by Elizabeth Dulemba
The Crow Not Crow – Teacher’s Guide features activities that target national science, math, writing and art education standards for grades K-3. This website provides background information and digital content to complement the printable guide. Purchase this book.
Activity 2: Neighborhood Bird Walk
If you aren’t able to take a bird walk outside, try out the Cornell Lab FeederWatch Cam at Sapsucker Woods, live from Ithaca, NY.
Activity 3: “Caw,” Not “Chuck”
Explore the sound recordings of some common bird species below, then follow the discussion questions listed in the guide. Feel free to find more of your own birds and bird calls using All About Birds and the Macaulay Library.
Activity 4: Flying Fingers
After students have created their own “wings” and brainstormed the different types of wings that birds can have, use the graphic below to explore the four common bird wing shapes: passive soaring, active soaring, elliptical, and high-speed.
Activity 5: Build a Bird Feeder
For instructions on how to construct your own bird feeder, reference our DIY bird feeders post.
Activity 7: Up Close with Birds
If you don’t have access to real binoculars, follow the steps below to create toilet paper roll binoculars:
- Provide each student with two empty toilet paper tubes and have kids decorate them.
- Tape the two tubes together with masking or other colorful tape.
- Punch holes on opposite sides of each tube, close to one end.
- Tie a piece of string or yarn through the holes to act as a neck strap.
Your new binoculars won’t magnify objects like real ones would, but they will help students focus on birds they see!
Activity 9: Bird Search
Print out copies of the Bird Search worksheet for each student and have them find each of the birds, behaviors, or items listed on the handout.
Science Connections (SCI; Next Generation Science Standards)
- K: K-L-S1-1, K-ESS3-3
- 1: 1-L-S1-1, 1- L-S1-2, K-2-ETS1-2
- 2: 2-LS4-1, 2-PS1-1, K-2-ETS1-2
- 3: 3-LS2-1, 3-LS4-3, 3-LS4-4, 3-LS4-2
Art Connection (ART; National Core Art Standards)
- K: Cr1.1.Ka, Cr1.2.Ka, Cr2.1.Ka, Cr2.2.Ka, Cr2.3.Ka, Re.7.1.Ka, Re.7.2.Ka, Re8.1.Ka, Cn10.1.Ka
- 1: Cr1.1.1a, Cr1.2.1a, Cr2.1.1a, Cr2.2.1a, Pr4.1.1a, Re.7.2.1a
- 2: 1.2a, Cr1.2.2a, Cr2.1.2a, Cr2.2.2a, Cr2.3.2a, Cr3.1.2a
- 3: 1.3a, Cr1.2.3a, Cr2.1.3a, Cr2.2.3a, Cr2.3.3a, Cr3.1.3a, Re.7.2.3a, Cn10.1.3a
English Language Arts (ELA; Common Core State Standards)
Reading: Informational Text
- K: RI.K.1, RI.K.2, RI.K.3, RI.K.4, RI.K.7, RI.K.8, RI.K.10
- 1: RI.1.1, RI.1.2, RI.1.3, RI.1.6, RI.1.7, RI.1.10
- 2: RI.2.1, RI.2.3, RI.2.4, RI.2.6, RI.2.8
- 3: RI.3.1, RI.3.2, R1.3.4, RI.3.7, RI.3.8, RI.3.9
- K: RL.K.1, RL.K.2, RL.K.3, RL.K.4, RL.K.6, RL.K.7, RL.K.10
- 1: RL.1.1, RL.1.2, RL..1.3, RL1.4, RL.1.6, RL1.7, RL1.9, RL.1.10
- 2: RL.2.1, RL.2.3, RL.2.5, RL.2.6, RL.2.7
- 3: RL.3.1, RL.3.3, RL.3.4, RL.3.6, RL.3.7
Speaking and Listening
- K: SL.K.1, SL.K.2, SL.K.3, SL.K.4, SL.K.5, SL.K.6
- 1: SL.1.1, SL.1.2, SL.1.3, SL.1.4, SL.1.5, SL.1.6
- 2: SL.2.1, SL.2.2, SL.2.3, SL.2.4, SL.2.6
- 3: SL.3.1, SL.3.2, SL.3.3, SL.3.4, SL.3.6
- K: W.K.2, W.K.3, W.K.8
- 1: W.1.2, W.1.3, W.1.5, W.1.7, W.1.8
- 2: W.2.1, W.2.2, W.2.3, W.2.5, W.2.6, W.2.8
- 3: W.3.1, W.3.2, W.3.3, W.3.4, W.3.5, W.3.7
Mathematics (MATH; Common Core State Standards)
- K: K.MDA.1, K.MDA.2, K.MDA.3
- 1: 1.MDA.2, 1.MDC.4
- 2: 2.MDA.1, 2.MDA.2, 2.MDA.3, 2.GA.2
- 3: 3.MDC.5, 3.MDC.7