Summer Educator Retreat
Register for one of our 2020 Educator Retreats!
Join the Cornell Lab of Ornithology K-12 Education team
July 7-10 or August 4-7, 2020
for an Educator Retreat at Sapsucker Woods in beautiful Ithaca, New York.
This one-of-a-kind program includes four days of activities, guest speakers, and field trips highlighting best practices and the latest resources to revitalize your educational program or classroom. Get inspired, gain confidence, gather new ideas, and enjoy networking opportunities with educators from around the country. Bring your good walking shoes and lots of energy!
During this transformational experience, you will:
- Receive hands-on training in using citizen science and inquiry in your program.
- Learn eBird protocols, complete a citizen-science study along the Sapsucker Woods trails, and enjoy guest presentations on environmental conservation.
- Discover the Cornell Lab’s online field guide, digital library, and citizen-science programs as educational resources for K-12 learning.
- Enjoy bird walks led by local experts to help you practice bird identification and learn about bird ecology.
- Interact with the experienced and enthusiastic scientists and staff who make the Cornell Lab of Ornithology a world-renowned institution, including behind-the-scenes tours.
- Receive K-12 Education’s popular Investigating Evidence unit, your choice of one of four brand new eBird kits, and two free window feeders.
- Earn 3 CEUs (Continuing Education Units) from Cornell University.
- Enjoy the natural beauty of Sapsucker Woods and the Finger Lakes with like-minded educators.
- Practice methods that can be immediately implemented with your students.
“My students LOVE going outside, so they are thrilled that I feel confident and competent enough to take them so often.” – retreat participant comment about the following school year
Who should attend?
Looking for innovative ways to teach STEM content and develop science literacy? This retreat will support you. We’re focused on helping you incorporate citizen science and inquiry into your classroom, camp, or afterschool or youth development program.
Past participants have raved about their retreat experience:
“Outstanding experience overall!”
“It was amazing. I especially loved the bird watching field trips.”
“I can’t think of a way to make it better, honestly. It was great.”
Logistics, Travel, and Lodging
Arrival, check-in, and snacks are from 10:00-11:00 am on Tuesday. The Retreat begins promptly at 11:00 am and concludes Friday at 3:00 pm.
Participants will have the option to stay in a single or double room in one of the Townhouses on campus. Each Townhouse comes with WiFi and air conditioning. Details and registration will be available as we get closer to the retreat.
Please note that town-homes are not walking distance from the Lab.
We will be reserving a block of rooms at Courtyard Ithaca hotel. Please make sure you register for the correct week. Space is limited. The hotel is located a short drive or walk away from the Lab.
Cost and Registration
Workshop costs are being supplemented by grant and sponsor funds. The registration fee is $495, which includes:
- One K-12 Education citizen science and inquiry curricula
- Your choice of one of our brand new eBird kits
- Delicious meals and plenty of snacks during workshop hours. All meals from lunch Tuesday to lunch Friday are included as well as the picnic in a gorgeous local state park. You may bring a guest to the picnic for a small extra charge.
- Hands-on training, tours, and bird walks (most led by Cornell Lab experts!)
- 3 CEUs from Cornell University