Learning to Identify Birds
The Cornell Lab's web site has excellent resources to help you learn to identify birds!
Want help learning to identify birds?
- Show kids the three videos on the section of the Lab's All About Birds web site.
- Order —you'll get activity & game ideas, plus access to an online Bird ID quiz with sound and video of common birds.
- Have your kids become a Species Specialist. Each person in a group picks a species and becomes the "expert" using the All About Birds . Then learn that species' field marks by coloring in it's .
- Prepare for Spring! Learn the bird songs that herald spring. Go to the page of All About Birds.
To go further, check out:
- BirdSleuth's Most Wanted Birds curriculum, found here. This complete curriculum kit includes 36 focus cards, full-color prints of birds, a poster of common feeder birds, a Pocket Naturalist Guide (Waterford Press), and a bird ID CD-Rom that includes audio files and PDFs of all handouts.