Center for Avian Population Studies
Big data, big impact.
In the Center for Avian Population Studies we innovate scientific, computational, and data resources that transform how we understand and protect the world around us. Our specialty is harnessing the power of big data, from acquisition and curation to analysis, to advance basic and applied science, provide customizable data products and visualizations that support full-life-cycle conservation, and build capacity in others to monitor and analyze bird populations around the world. We move knowledge into action by working with partners around the globe to generate and apply science to real-world problems.
- Scientific Discovery
We conduct interdisciplinary research around the world to understand the threats and actions needed to protect priority systems and species, and the ways to work with people to achieve conservation.
- Science to Action
Bridging the gap between science and action, we bring information to decision-makers, practitioners, and partners to achieve landscape-scale conservation for ecosystems and birds, such as the Golden-winged Warbler.
- Partnerships and Capacity-Building
With partners across the hemisphere, we share expertise and build capacity to apply science, monitor bird populations, and implement solutions that protect biodiversity and sustainable livelihoods.
We manage and develop eBird, partnering with organizations around the world to engage a global audience in sharing observations to empower research and conservation of birds and ecosystems.
- eBird Analytics
Through the exploration, analysis, and visualization of massive data sets, we reveal insights on the distribution, movements, status, and trends of birds through time and across hemispheres.
- Radar Ornithology
At the forefront of radar ornithology, BirdCast forecasts night-by-night densities of birds aloft, transforming our ability to understanding migration and reduce threats to birds.
- Land Trust Bird Conservation Initiative
We provide resources, tools, and funding opportunities to help land trusts amplify the protection and stewardship of birds and habitats across 56 million acres protected by land trusts nationwide.
- Coastal Solutions Program
Shorebird declines represent the number one avian conservation crisis in the world today, and to stem the tide, it is imperative to protect and restore these interconnected coastal habitats. The Coastal Solutions Fellows Program addresses the shorebird crisis.
- Policy and Management
To ensure the best science is used in conservation decision-making, we help produce influential syntheses of scientific data such as the State of the Birds report and Partners in Flight conservation plans.
- Bird and Biodiversity Monitoring
Working with partners across the Western hemisphere, we develop integrated bird monitoring programs to advance quantifiable, targeted conservation outcomes.
- Full Annual and Life Cycle Conservation
To better understand the distribution and ecology of migratory birds as they move across hemispheres, we study their full life cycles using innovative field, technological, and computational studies.
- Conservation in Human-Dominated Landscapes
We work to identify and incentivize creative ways to sustain biodiversity, protect critical ecosystem services, and support human health and well-being within human-dominated landscapes, including cities and working lands.
- Amanda RodewaldGarvin Professor and Senior Director, Center for Avian Population Studies
- Christine AudetteIT Project Manager
- Tom AuerGeospatial Data Science Team Lead
- Sara BarkerProject Leader
- Audrey CarlsenData Visualization Developer
- Mike CharnokyApplications Programmer
- Adrianne ChissusBird Research Technician
- Gemma ClucasPostdoctoral Fellow
- Cynthia CrowleyData Science Developer
- Shannon CurleyPostdoctoral Fellow
- Jenna CurtisProject Co-Leader, eBird
- Ian DaviesProject Coordinator, eBird
- Courtney DavisResearch Associate
- Morrigan DeVitoProject Assistant
- André DhondtDirector, Bird Population Studies
- Adriaan DokterResearch Associate
- Iain DownieeBird Android Developer
- Kylee DunhamResearch Associate, Applied Quantitative Ecologist
- Andrew FarnsworthSenior Research Associate
- Alexander FeinbergSoftware Engineer
- Daniel FinkSenior Research Associate
- Tom FredericksDatabase Admistrator IV
- Batbayar GaltbaltPostdoctoral Fellow
- Joshua GangerSystems Administrator
- John GarrettProject Assistant
- Jeff GerbrachtApplication Programmer
- Osvel Hinojosa-HuertaDirector, Coastal Solutions Fellows Program
- Wesley HochachkaSenior Research Associate
- Marshall J. IliffProject Leader, eBird
- Jasdev ImaniApplication Developer
- Adam JordanSystems Engineer
- Laura KammermeierDigital Publications Marketing Manager
- Jessica KaneAccounts Manager
- Brooke KeeneyManaging Editor
- Walter KoenigVisiting Senior Scientist
- Frank La SorteSenior Research Associate
- Tim LevatichDatabase Administrator
- Diego LicónStrategic Partnerships Manager
- Shawn LigockiData Engineer
- Taylor LongUser Interface Designer
- Eliot MillerPostdoctoral Associate
- William MorrisGrid and Application Programmer
- Steve MorrowDatabase Administrator
- Raphaël NussbaumerPostdoctoral Fellow
- Lauren Oldham JaromczykData Visualization Developer
- Francisco Padilla ObregoniOS Software Engineer
- Vanessa PowellAdministrative Assistant
- Orin RobinsonResearch Associate
- Paul RodewaldScience Editor, Birds of the World
- Ken RosenbergApplied Conservation Scientist Emeritus
- Josée RousseauPostdoctoral Fellow
- Viviana Ruiz GutierrezAssistant Director, Center for Avian Population Studies • Program Leader, Conservation Science
- Michael SchrimpfPostdoctoral Fellow
- Daniel SerpielloiOS Application Developer
- Dave SlagerPostdoctoral Associate
- Nicholas SlyCommunications Assistant
- Andrew StillmanPostdoctoral Fellow
- Matt Strimas-MackeyData Scientist
- Brian SullivanDigital Publications Lead
- Alexander TedeschiData Science & Software Engineer
- Julia WangProject Leader, BirdCast
- Heather WolfApplication Programmer
- Christopher WoodManaging Director, Center for Avian Population Studies and Director, eBird
Don't miss a thing! Join our email list